Picnic at Lake Huay Tung Tao

Picnic at Lake Huay Tung Tao
On the last day of class, we took an excursion to the lake. Beautiful!

The Cooks

The Cooks
my students making somtam (spicy papaya salad). it was VERY spicy

Time to EAT

Time to EAT
sticky rice, spicy papaya salad, fried chicken and chili paste. YUM!

Saturday, December 27, 2008

SeAsoNs GrEeTinGs

"Why is there a picture of Winnie the Pooh kleenex?" I can hear you asking. The fact is, here in Thailand, you really should carry some of these with you wherever you go, 'cause chances are your stall in the public restroom will be devoid of toilet paper. In fact, you'll find that, oddly, none of the stalls have any of this suddenly precious commodity. Suck it up (literally) and remember your Pooh wipes next time!!! ;)

Well, it's been a crazy month, to say the least! Warmest Christmas ever!! And I never thought I'd be graduating yet again... It's been a wild and amazin' ride!

I must say, I've put on a few holiday pounds. I was just noticing this morning that my pants don't fit as loosely as before. Ah, the joys of bein' married!! No one to impress any more! Hmm, I hope Lydia doesn't read this... Here's a sampling of what we had:
  • chicken and beef enchiladas
  • German sausage and potato salad

  • tom yum pizza (much better than I remembered it)

  • a bucket o' fried chicken.

  • steak chili

Okay, it may not sound like much, but we live in Thailand, okay?. Lyd made a chocolate mousse pie and an apple pie (fresh baked from scratch, no less!), and our friends made these amazin' cookies made from ritz crackers and peanut butter dipped in melting chocolate. Mmmm!!

That list is a pretty comprehensive list of three small parties' worth of food. One Create Christmas Party, one with YWAM friends (our long-time Thai friend Naret included), and one with some Thai friends from our building (Nope, I would never order a Tom Yum Pizza on my own). We got to share the reason we celebrate Christmas with our building-mates, definitely the highlight of our Christmas!

Our church went caroling at the big mega-mall near the airport. I've joined the worship team as well, switchin' between backup and lead guitar twice a month.

But December hasn't been all fun and games!!

Right before graduation, we went elephant riding (Our "driver" dude was riding on the elephant's head, and it looked really fun, so when he dismounted, I asked if it was okay if I tried. It was fun, but also a little scarier. And my inner thighs felt it the next day). Afterwards, we went to a waterfall, where I slipped and fell off a slimy rock into a leech-filled stream. Our camera was in my pocket (It took a while to dry, and the flash still doesn't work). To finish the day, we went on a bamboo raft ride, where I fell into the river. I remember thinking to myself, "God hates me."

Seriously, though, that was only one of a few days where everything seemed to be working against us, threatening to plunge us into discouragement and despair. If life goes in seasons, this month alone has been like a whole year's worth!

But, God has been good. Even when we felt like we were only hangin' by a mere thread, He was grasping our hand firmly, even holding us in intimacy. We are coming forth as gold refined, even more dependent and in love with Him. I guess we really needed this break... Some time to get perspective. Graduation came just in time! We've had a lot more time to pray these past weeks. It's been great! And God has opened a lot of doors regarding relationships with Thai people!

1 comment:

Mr.Peace said...

Hi, I visited your blog.
Read and then view the blog.
Do not forget this party each Wednesday.

My bolg
santi-littlestory.blogspot.com