Picnic at Lake Huay Tung Tao

Picnic at Lake Huay Tung Tao
On the last day of class, we took an excursion to the lake. Beautiful!

The Cooks

The Cooks
my students making somtam (spicy papaya salad). it was VERY spicy

Time to EAT

Time to EAT
sticky rice, spicy papaya salad, fried chicken and chili paste. YUM!

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Shan School

Ever since I started studying TESOL at Payap University, I've been asking myself Do I really enjoy teaching English?? Am I just wasting my time?? But now that I've been teaching at the Shan school for about a month, I can honestly say that I love teaching there.

The school is part of a foundation (the Thinking Classroom Foundation) started to help Burmese immigrants (teenagers and adults) living in Thailand. The students are mostly Shan, though some Thai and some hilltribe students attend. One elderly Japanese couple has even started attending English classes there. Students are able to study Thai, English, and computer for free.

I teach in the mornings and it's always an adventure! For starters, I never know how many students will show up each day. Some days 15 students come to class, other days as many as 30 students have come. On a number of occasions, parents have brought their kids to the class since no one is available to care for them. Also, my classroom is outside, so it can be quite hot. It's a small space, so it's hard to move around. And it just happens to be in the same area as the kitchen and the motorcycle parking lot. The most recent challenge has been the noise due to construction behind the school. During the last class, we all got distracted watching a bulldozer level the ground right behind the classroom.

What surprises me the most about these students is their low level of English! Many of them can't even read or write in their own language, let alone English, and have had very little formal education. Most of them have had to start working at a very young age and so haven't had the opportunity to go to school. Yet in spite of these challenges, they're quite motivated and hardworking, which makes it so fun to teach them.

Last week, Peter had a chance to visit the class and get to know some of the students. Of course, they all loved him, especially the girls and said he looked like a Korean movie star. How blessed I am to be married to such a good-looking guy!

Starting in June, I'll be conducting research at the school for my thesis (the last part of my Masters program). As of now, my plan is to do an ethnographic study of Shan people learning English. I'm thankful to be teaching at such a fun place!

2 comments:

Susanna Johnson said...

ah, so good to hear an update from you, Lidia! I mean, Lindsay! hahahaa. miss you tons. Julia and I had a nice long phone call today, which was great. and i'm waiting on Shana to call me back soon. love you!

cubsfan said...

i miss you. love, ruth